Friday, November 17, 2017

LAGOS FASHION AND DESIGN WEEK 2017 FAVES || MY TOP DESIGNER PICKS FROM DAY 1 RUNWAY SHOW




Last year I attended LFDW for the first time and I shared my rookie experience on the blog. This year I didn't catch the fashion buzz so I decided I wasn't going to be attending but somehow plans changed. I won't say I caught the buzz eventually but I decided to attend Day 3 and 4.

This year was completely different, It was more hectic for me because I had to work throughout. I didn't exactly get to enjoy the show like I did last year. However, I had a refreshing experience which made the whole work stress worthwhile. Ironic, right?

In the past couple of weeks I received  a lot of request concerning a review. I initially wrote this post sometime last month on this site. So I decided to just copy and paste it here.

Heneiken Lagos Fashion and Design Week, the brainchild of Omoyemi Akerele of Style House Files officially kicked off on Wednesday, 25th October 2017. LFDW is perhaps the most anticipated fashion event in Nigeria with a full attendance by top designers, models, celebrities, style influencers, fashion enthusiasts and more.


As usual, the seventh edition of the LFDW kicked off with a bang! From the ultra-edgy street style outerwear to the sensational runway show. We are definitely ready for all of the fashion frenzy. This year, the 4 days event marked a year of many firsts with a change of venue from Federal Palace Hotel to Eko Atlantic, Victoria Island and first-time runway showcase by new designers.  Talk about keeping things fresh and exciting, right?

Last year, I got to experience some of the action in person but this year I would be experiencing vicariously through social media. My expectations for the runway show and fashion week in general? To see original and creatively curated pieces that tell a beautiful story. I am also expecting a lot of drama this year. Perhaps something that tops last year's dramatic runway proposal. One thing is certain each year always tops the last and my physical absence will not dampen my enthusiasm.

Here are my top 6 Designers from Day 1 shows...

Morafa


The runway show kicked off with Morafa - first-time showcase designer at the LFDW. The collection featured a lot of sparkles and glitz, I particularly loved the sparkly fabrics used to tailor the suits.

Titi Belo


Titi Belo is no stranger to the LFDW runway. Popular for bringing her exaggerated puff sleeve to limelight last year. This year she switched things up with her designs. The collection featured very bold cuts, colours, sultry and sexy pieces. She completely delivered her A game with pieces designed for the Upton chic who is an independent woman has sporty vibes and sass. Her collection explored the feminity of a woman through the use of deep plunges and sexy thigh-high slit. She was definitely one of the strongest of the night.

Omilua


Olajumoke Ademilua, creative director of the brand is notable for her beautifully constructed pieces. It's no secret that I am a sucker for a beautiful story with appealing visuals and this collection was on point with its delivery. This year, she returned to the LFDW runway with a bang! A collection inspired by the life of the 1950's housewife which featured a lot of vibrant colours and prints. A series of quirky looking blouses in gingham print and stripes paired with a pencil or flowy skirts that had very colourful and bold prints. She finished off the looks with statement headpieces and coloured socks. The perfect collection for the woman looking to make a very bold statement.

Ejiro Amos Tafari


Ejiro Amos Tafari is no doubt one of the most talented designers in Nigeria as she further proved this on Wednesday night. She closed the runway show in grand style. Personally, I loved how she switched things up this year with a collection that featured a lot of dresses, bodysuits with a lot of sequins, ruffles, feather and fringe details for the woman looking to make a statement on the red carpet.

Eki Orleans


This collection was completely breathtaking yet refreshing. It was inspired by one of the elements of nature - water to be precise. It tells the story of self-discovery using a lot of flowy dresses, silk fabrics and a lot of aquatic-inspired prints to convey the message.

Style Temple


Personally, this was the major highlight of Wednesday night. A beautifully constructed collection with sexy and very feminine pieces. Style Temple's ode to womanhood inspired by the fierce woman completely left the crowd in awe as the show commenced with a short video clip that displayed the aspects of womanhood and what it entails to be a woman. Mindblowing, right? The brand which is known for its signature use of soft pastels, sheer fabrics and asymmetry in its silhouettes did not fail to deliver this time. Its pieces were very strong but had a very feminine touch to it. The perfect balance of the confident yet sexy woman. It featured power suits, floaty dresses with statement cuts, deconstructed details, sequins, sheer fabrics and mesh inserts.

What do you think of these designs? What were you major highlights from Wednesday's show?

Connect with me via
Instagram//Bloglovin//Twitter//Facebook

Photo Credit- Kola Oshalusi (Insigna)




Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Your opinion means a lot to me. Don't forget to share your thoughts with me by leaving your comment

Custom Post Signature